Friday, April 20, 2012

Goat training

Since Supermodel was a bottle baby and all ready leash trained I decided to jump right in with her. I've been putting her face halter on daily for the past 3 days and just letting her walk around in it. Today I put on two. One is normal sized for her and the other was a thin adjustable one I made for smaller goats. Why did I use two? Because my halters are rope style with 4 foot attached leads. This way she had reins.

She did very well!  She was already training.ed to walk by my side so I would just slow Slow down and sneak behind her. She "woah'd" quite well, it was keeping her going that needs work. She kept wanting to.stop and sample the greenery.

We walked around the house a few This
es before I put her back. Every time we stopped at my.command she got a treat. Of she stopped on her own I'd tap her back legs with a stick and say "yip yip" in a high voice. That is a command I already used to call my goats.  They'd start running if they heard it! Now I just shake a blue bottle with rocks in it Amy they Come.
Usually when training goats, I read, there is someone leading with a leash and another behind the goats with.the reins.I didnt have a helper ( I tried using my.5yo unsuccessfully ) so that's why I'd tap her rear with a stick. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't. But.it was her first day! I think she's going to be a natural!!

And other good new, Barnabas,  our new saanen Buck, ate from my hand. The trust is forming. He even followed me down the length of the pen. I sit next to his pen and talk sweetly to him and the other goats. He's getting  curious now. I'm looking forward to this weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment