Monday, July 11, 2011

Rest in Peace Little Bit.

Ethel's third baby, little bit, was struggling from the beginning. When the other two were running about shortly after birth , Little Bit was laying on her side panting.

She did walk a and stand for the first two days, but she went down hill from there. I did the same routine I did with Orchid but she just never thrived. She developed bloat, which is quite painful. I did the treatments and hoped she would be better This morning.

She cried most of the night, not the happy goat bloat, but The scared, lost bleat. I assume she was in pain. I got up wrapped her in a blanket and pet her until she fell back asleep. This went on all night long.

She started crying again this morning around 5 am. She was dish rag limp, unable to even hold up Her head. Her tummy was was still full of air.

I gave her 6 days to recover and made the decision to humanely euthanize her. She as put down at 6 am and for the first time in 24 hours She looked peaceful and pain free.

I held her until her heart stopped beating. She's laying in a shoebox. I'm waiting for the boys to wake up so we can bury her.

On a happy note, the other two are doing great. While Ethel only has HALF of an udder, her milk has come in on that one side and her kids are nursing. I'm still supplementing them 4 ounces a day with the bottle because I don't know how much they are actually getting from mom.

Three babes and only Half a developed udder. Nature had a way of evening out the odds. Little Bit was the sacrifice to keep Marigold and Nanobyte with us.
Her life was not in vain.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

  1. Betty, I'm so sorry about Little Bit. Knowing you even as little as I do, your short post doesn't even scratch the service of the kind and gentle effort you made to save her. The kindness and gentleness that extended to her very last breath. You are a good person.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete