Tuesday, September 13, 2011

hello y'all!

I just got a call from my local county extension office. I called asking about starting a micro dairy several days ago.
Wow, did he deflate my balloon!!

Basically, he told me it wasn't worth it because in California a micro dairy is subject to the same laws and rules as a full sized operation. He went on and on about the difficulties and challenges.

I admit, some I already new of and like any new idea it takes awhile for The Man to catch up with the changing world around him.

He also told me a creamery ( cheeses and other processed milk products) are a bit easier because of the less stringent requirements.

So. Do I continue on knowing full well failure is in my future? Do I give up on that idea and perhaps try to find out something else I was to do?
I don't want to do something else. I think that's all that matters.

Only time will tell I guess. Plus, you know if I don't do it someone else will in a year or two and be very successful as the trend of micro dairies gain in popularity.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. I've thought about trying to do something like that too, but didn't want to deal with all the red tape, inspections, and restrictions aimed solely at small operators. Disappointing, isn't it? Sounds like you're still considering giving it a go. Good for you for doing your homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes they really do try to discourage us small time folks! i understand the need and concern for rigid rules when it comes toproducts that may effect public health, but if they removed even a quarter of the bureaucratic aspects of the process, everyones life would be so much easier!!

    ReplyDelete