Tuesday, April 12, 2011

rest in peace my little wiggly friends

My first attempt at vermicomposting failed miserably. I was doing good for awhile. I'd turn my bin over a couple times.a month to aerate and check on everyone. I got them in December for Christmas ( yes, I asked for worms for Christmas). Things started going bad when A. I drilled small air holes in the bin and B. A added rabbit droppings with shavings. I think the nitrates were too high and the shavings absorbed too much moisture and kept drying it out.

So my vermicompost is now the start of a traditional compost pile. I've always had problems getting my compost to heat up but now living in the desert I think my problem.will be vermin and dryness. I'll try again with worms in the fall. Who knows. Maybe a couple survived and will start breeding like rabbits! Or... you know..... worms.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment