Monday, April 11, 2011

gardening learning curve

Out of the original 60 or so seedlings I started about half are left and in good shape.

Most of my corn, some cucumbers and eggplants were consumed by the chickens who somehow got out of their coop. I lost some to the baaad goats. Some Just never thrived.

What's left and so far going strong are 3 of the 4 pumpkins that survived the transplant ( after my kids uprooted the 8 I had ). 3 watermelons out of 10. 6 swish Chard out of 12. The ones in the ground See doing significantly better than the ones in pots. All of the carrots are alive and well and most of the beets are gone. The tomatillos are doing fantastic, as are the bell peppers. Those make me the happiest of all because I harvested the seeds myself.

Slow and steady does it I suppose! I will make a note of which crops I did Well with and plant those again in triplicate. My main reason for wanting vegis was to cut down on livestock feed not family food. In learning to take things one day at a time. And since the desert has two growing seasons, I don't Have to wait too long before I get a second shot.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment