Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chicken orchard! !!

As I sit in my fifth wheel, gazing out the window, I find myself daydreaming about potential.

My thought process started with privacy hedge but ended up at orchards. I have a somewhat bothersome neighbor. Well, my neighbor isn't so bothersome,  bit their dogs are. Anywhoo- I haven't had a neighbor within  miles of my home for years, so now that I have some it weird.
So I was thinking g about privacy hedges. There is a triangular patch in the corner of my front yard that already has two water spigots on it. At first I was thinking leyland cypress,  along the slightly curved edge of this triangle. But they would block not only the neighbors but my mountain views as well. There are also two power line poles in there.

So then I started wondering what I could use as a hedge that only grew tall enough to block the houses from view. I instantly thought of a pomegranate hedge.

Somehow pomegranate lead to fig.. and then peach.. and that lead to small orchard. I can fit about twenty trees in this triangle.

Well if I'm going to plant all those fruit trees I might as well fence the whole thing in, plop a small coop in the middle an have a chicken yard amongst the orchard. They can eat bugs and windfall fruit while keeping g the soil nice and fertilized.

I'm not sure what Lover will think of the idea, being fairly traditional an preferring the critters to be in the back.

I can manipulate it a bit. I can say the trees will block the two houses and insulate the sound of the dogs. I'll mention how much money we'll save by not having to run more waterlines to the back of the property.

I'll leave the chickens out all together.. I'll just slowly transition them over.. it will be our little secret. ;-)

My only concern is the crowing rooster is going to upset the barking g dogs. Burning can put them anywhere on our 5 acres and a neighbors dog will no doubt, bark. I guess my next option would be to sound insulate the coop to keep the crowing to a minimum.

One of my new neighbors has geese. I heard them carrying on this morning. It made me.smile to have geese for neighbors.  I wish the neighbor with the dogs had geese instead.

Here is a pic of my triangle. You really have to look for the roads in order to tell its a triangle at all. Now close your eyes and imagine it full of fruit trees!



No comments:

Post a Comment