Wednesday, March 30, 2011

hot = flies

No matter how clean you keep your stables, barns, or paddocks, whether your screen your compost bins or not, one thing that's guaranteed to make an appearance on any sort of farming/ ranching operation is flies.

The heat picked up This week, and so did these annoying little creatures. What was once a three times a week chore, cleaning rabbit cages, has now become a daily chore. The monthly chore of raking the goat pens has now become a weekly chore. I know this was bound to happen flies or no flies with the rapidly approaching kidding season when my small herd of six may double.

All I can say is thank goodness the horses are Lovers responsibility! The ducks and chickens are pretty easy. I just set the spray nozzle This high and powerwash the poo into a ditch that drains into a garden. I get my cleaning/ watering/ fertilizing done in one clean swoop!

On my agenda for this weekend is to build a couple large fly traps like the one I found online pictured above. I need at least three. The ducks and chickens don't need one, I'd be robbing them of their protien enriched snack.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen a fly trap like that. I have noticed our flies are worse this year than last, so something like that would come in very handy.

    ReplyDelete