Monday, January 23, 2012

Copper and goats

Goats need copper. In some places they get enough from their forage. Some add it to their minerals. I only have access to cow mineral blocks, which contain copper but not enough. So I give them a bolus twice a year.

I just bolused my goats. I give copper twice a year. I'm sure there are many goat owner who would guffaw or cringe at my technique but it works for me.

This is what I do:

I take several large tablespoons of peanut butter and glob it onto one side of a plate.

I take one CALF bolus and dump it on the other side of the plate.

I have large goats and small goats . This bit of information will make this next part make sense.

I clip a cup of BOSSto the top of the goat pen. Large/ tall goats try to get it while the short goats are stuck at the bottom.

I dip the metal spoon into the peanut butter and then the copper rods.

I hold it up to the fence. Goat grabs spoon and gets a sticky mouthful of peanutbutter copper. Repeat with remaining goats.

Then move cup of boss to the bottom and repeat process with the bigger goats.

I adjust the amount of rods to the size of the goat.small goats get less, big goats get more.

Most goats take it willingly. For the the ones that don't I grab their heads when they get close enough andput the mixture on their face-lift which they then lick off.

There is usually some left over. I don't give them the whole thing because I rather under do it than over do it to prevent a copper overload.

Viola. In 5 minutes I've bolused 9 goats by myself without even breaking a sweat.

P.s if there's any BOSS actually left in the cup it goes to the chickens. I don't want the goats to crunch any remaining rods in their mouths.

( BOSS is black oil sunflower seeds BTW)

1 comment:

  1. Betty that is so clever! I tried to give the copper rods in a capsule stuffed down their throats. What a fiasco! I'm gonna try this next time I bolus, which is due soon.

    ReplyDelete