Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Orchids make-shift udder

Why, oh why, didn't I think of this sooner?

I can't claim the creative genius behind it however. I found the idea in a Homesteading Today forum. A sheep lady wrote about it.

Anyway, it does two things for me: A- allows me to feed and water the rest of the goats while she's ' nursing' and Ab- when they're empty I hang them up higher and she spends about ten minutes trying to reach them to get milk instead of following me back to the house.

When its time for Orchids next feeding, I just switch out the bottles. I've been doing this for 3 days now and its great. She was always weaving in and out of my legs , making me walk like a duck to avoid crushing her.

I still give her Mama time, however. But because I sit on the ground all the kids come jump on me and lay in my lap. The adults come pull my clothes and let me pet them, so she's still participating in the herd antics.

Goddess bless you, Sock Udder!

So when we move, I'll be building an Infirm in the goat barn for weak kids And a place to hang sock udders for weak kids. I love that I'm actually learning something through experience. It really does help make me more confident and all around better shepherdess!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment