Thursday, June 9, 2011

Propagating Pomegranates

I know, I know. Its a bit early in the year to propagate cuttings. But as my old boss used to say, " growing cuttings from existing plants costs nothing, so you might as well try it".

He was an avid gardener who grew literally THOUSANDS of plants. Every time he trimmed his trees back, he stuck the trimmings in rooting hormone the shoved them in a Pot.

So our dear departed Dr. Pasco taught me a bit about taking cuttings. I took a couple suckers off of the fig, and about 6 or seven of the larger suckers off of the pomegranate.

Standing by was a small bucket with water, rooting hormones and a couple tablespoons of bleach. Dr. Pasco would also put in plant vitamins but I don't have any so oh well.

I cut the plants as low to the group.d as possible, moving soil away and cutting just underneath where the suckers were more ' woody '. As I cut, I also stripped off all the lower leaves and flowers/ buds. They require a lot of energy to live an I want the energy to go into making roots right now. They soak in this bath until I'm finished trimming everything up.

I have my pots prepared. They have moist potting soil with a bit of sand mixed in. While many would recommend mixing in peat moss, I'm ethically against using it. Peat bogs are rapidly being depleted so if I can successfully garden without it, I will.


I pour a bit of rooting hormone I to a baby food jar to stick the ends of the cuttings in. This eliminates the jar of hormone being contaminated with anything harmful.

After the ends are dipped I just shove down I a pot and move the pot to a shaded area. I have to water about every other day and I water from a can filled with rooting hormone and( when I get to the store) plant vitamins.

Viola! Plant cuttings. Its all in mother natures hands now. Wish us luck!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment